Re: Feature Request: ALTER FUNCTION (or something like that)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature Request: ALTER FUNCTION (or something like that)
Date: 2001-03-28 00:47:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org> writes:
> . add a command like ALTER FUNCTION foo(text) TO foo(text) returns text as

This is on the TODO list already, I believe.

> This would seem to require that the new function would take the same
> parameters (and return the same?) as the old function.

If it doesn't take the same parameters then it's not the same function
at all, so that part is a nonissue. We'd have to disallow change of
return type as well.

> Perhaps this is tricky,

Updating pg_proc wouldn't be hard. What's missing is a notification
mechanism that would cause cached copies of the function to get
replaced. A crude first cut could just ignore that issue and still be
extremely useful for development ...