Re: libpq_r

From: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq_r
Date: 2003-07-24 14:55:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian writes:
> However, notice the flags needed under Linux:
>
> THREAD_CFLAGS="-D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS"
>
> or are you saying libpq needs only the first one because libpq, itself,
> doesn't use threads --- interesting distinction, and perhaps a way we
> can get by with one libpq even on platforms that require *_r
> libraries.

Urgh, I think I was a bit over zealous witht he first patch and just
bundled the later two in... After looking around the includes they
don't do anything under Linux. I think they're used on AIX.

however the best way to do this is to look at another package which
has a wide distribution and wide OS base - OpenLDAP being a good
example (or even MySQL!)- and see how they do things... No need to
reinvent the wheel!

L.