Re: Separate Disks

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Derek Hamilton" <derek(at)capweb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Separate Disks
Date: 2003-04-12 04:48:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Derek Hamilton" <derek(at)capweb(dot)com> writes:
> Any help with improving the disk I/O would be much appreciated!

Conventional wisdom is that putting the WAL log on its own spindle is a
big win (at least for databases that have nontrivial write traffic).
This is pretty easy to do, just symlink the pg_xlog directory to another
filesystem. After that you could look at moving indexes off to their
own disk, but the pain-in-the-neck factor is *way* higher at the moment,
and the return not as good. I doubt that pg_clog is really worth
worrying about.