Re: reducing our reliance on MD5

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: reducing our reliance on MD5
Date: 2015-02-11 02:38:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2/10/15 8:28 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> I don't actually care which algorithm we use, and I dowannahafta care.
>> What I do want to do is provide a framework so that, when somebody
>> discovers that X is better than Y because Z, somebody who knows about
>> cryptography and not much about PostgreSQL ca add support for X in a
>> relatively small number of lines of code.

> sounds like SASL

Sounds like pie in the sky really :-(. We could make the server turn on
a dime perhaps, but the client-side population will not come along nearly
that quickly, nor with small effort. Stored passwords won't migrate to a
new scheme transparently either.

I think it's probably reasonable to think about a more modern password
auth method, but not to imagine that it will be pluggable or that the
adoption time for any revision will be less than years long.