Re: Error during hash index scans can cause postgres halt!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "ykhuang" <hyk(at)ruc(dot)edu(dot)cn>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error during hash index scans can cause postgres halt!
Date: 2008-03-07 16:07:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I wrote:
> Ouch. So this has been broken (by me, I think :-() since 8.0. Tells
> you something about how many people use hash indexes :-(

Actually it's not that bad --- this particular test case doesn't crash
in 8.0 or 8.1. I'm guessing we rearranged the order of transaction
abort processing in 8.2 in a way that exposed the problem. I patched
8.0 and 8.1 anyway, since it seems likely that some other more
complicated case might still show the problem there (eg something with
subtransactions).