Re: pgsql: Add transforms feature

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add transforms feature
Date: 2015-04-28 04:05:47
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Add transforms feature

> BF member olinguito is also failing the contrib test, because plpython
> is not compiled in that platform.

Yeah. Even more specifically, olinguito does have --with-python in its
configure flags, but then the plpython Makefile skips the build because
libpython isn't available as a shared library. But the contrib test is
(I assume, haven't looked) conditional only on the configure flag.

I'm not real sure now why we felt that was a good approach. The general
project policy is that if you ask for a feature in the configure flags,
we'll build it or die trying; how come this specific Python issue gets
special treatment contrary to that policy?

So I'd vote for changing that to put the shared-library test in configure,
or at least make it a build failure later on, not "silently don't build
what was asked for". That would mean olinguito's configure flags would
have to be adjusted.

Plan B would require propagating the shared-libpython test into the
contrib makefiles, which seems pretty unpalatable even if you're willing
to defend the status quo otherwise.