BUG #15907: JSON Select Issue

From: PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: nwalls(at)kyledavidgroup(dot)com
Subject: BUG #15907: JSON Select Issue
Date: 2019-07-15 20:17:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 15907
Logged by: Nathan Walls
Email address: nwalls(at)kyledavidgroup(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.6.11
Operating system: Windows 10

I have a table that has a column named 'metadata' of type JSON. When I try
to select metadata as part of a group with other columns, I've found that
metadata has to be the first column selected. Otherwise I'll get an error
saying "Not connected to the server or the connection to the server has been
closed," even though a modal will still inform me the query was executed
successfully with N number of rows affected. For example:
SELECT metadata,kind FROM events; --works just fine
SELECT kind,metadata FROM events; --fails