Re: somebody working on: Prevent default re-use of sysids for dropped users and groups?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: schmidtm <schmidtm(at)mock-software(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: somebody working on: Prevent default re-use of sysids for dropped users and groups?
Date: 2004-12-03 23:41:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>> No one has any idea how to do this reasonably --- the problem is you
>> have no visibility into databases other than the one you're connected
>> to, so you can't tell what the user owns in other databases.

> What about Alvaro's shared dependencies work:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-10/msg00963.php

I think the practicality of that is still TBD ... particularly with
respect to the question of tracking ACL entries as opposed to just owners.

If we could track such things, then the whole notion of sysids for
users could probably go away, and we could just use OIDs for them.
So I'm not against pursuing the idea, I'm just worried about the
overhead and locking implications.