Re: last_statrequest is in the future

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: last_statrequest is in the future
Date: 2010-03-26 17:17:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> Even if there was something to be done in kernel space, how many years
> from now would it be before it made this problem go away for the
> majority of near future 9.0 users? We've been seeing a fairly regular
> stream of "pgstat wait timeout" reports come in. The one I reported was
> from recent hardware and a very mainstream Linux setup.

The behavior I'm seeing in jaguar's reports is difficult to characterize
as anything except a seriously broken machine (see the followup message
with further details). It may be that there is some
not-obviously-broken-hardware case that we need to deal with, but I have
not seen evidence of it yet. Can you reproduce your test case with CVS
HEAD and send the log messages?