Re: Deadline-Based Vacuum Delay

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Galy Lee <lee(dot)galy(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Deadline-Based Vacuum Delay
Date: 2007-01-05 14:54:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Galy Lee <lee(dot)galy(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> It is true that there is not a decent way to estimate the amount of work
> to be done. But the purpose in here is not spread the vacuum over 6
> hours exactly, it is finish vacuum within 6 hours, and spread the
> spikes as much as possible. So the maximum estimation of the work is
> enough to refine the vacuum within the window, it is fine if vacuum run
> quickly than schedule.

Is it? If I tell the thing to take 6 hours and it finishes in 5
minutes, why would I be happy? It could obviously have spread out the
work more, and presumably if I'm using this feature at all then I want
the least possible load added from vacuum while it's running.

But this is all academic, because there's no way to produce a
trustworthy "maximum estimate" either.