Re: MultiXacts & WAL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: paolo romano <paolo(dot)romano(at)yahoo(dot)it>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MultiXacts & WAL
Date: 2006-06-17 16:10:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> writes:
> Also, multixacts are only used when two transactions hold a shared lock
> on the same row.

Yeah, it's difficult to believe that multixact stuff could form a
noticeable fraction of the total WAL load, except perhaps under really
pathological circumstances, because the code just isn't supposed to be
exercised often. So I don't think this is worth pursuing. Paolo's free
to try to prove the opposite of course ... but I'd want to see numbers
not speculation.