Re: TOAST error in 7.4.2 on frequently truncated tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TOAST error in 7.4.2 on frequently truncated tables
Date: 2004-08-25 05:13:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> DBD::Pg::st execute failed: ERROR: expected both swapped tables to have TOAST
> tables at sql_data_xfer.pl line 120, <STDIN> line 2.

Have you done more to this table than TRUNCATE it?

We recognized relatively recently that ALTER DROP COLUMN could drop the
last/only variable-width column, in which case there is no longer any
need for a TOAST table. The 8.0 code for CLUSTER/TRUNCATE copes with
this possibility but 7.4 doesn't.

I'm quite sure you couldn't get this error from anything except CLUSTER
or TRUNCATE in 7.4 though. Seems like your client-side code is in error
to be fingering a plain SELECT as the cause.