Re: Range types

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Scott Bailey <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net>, hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Range types
Date: 2009-12-15 15:19:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I also have to say that I'm very skeptical of the argument
> that there is only a small list of types people will want this for.

I'm not sure that anyone has argued that. I did suggest that there
might be a small list of types for which we should provide discrete
behavior (ie, with next/previous functions) and the rest could have
continuous behavior (without that assumption). But I quite agree
that we want both types of ranges.