Re: feature request: show pgsql version when running initdb

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: feature request: show pgsql version when running initdb
Date: 2003-09-26 14:32:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Nigel J. Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> Moral of the story, if it's in your path first then it's the default and you
> should therefore be happy with the results or be prepared to live with them,
> otherwise make sure what you're running.

I would think that having initdb print its version while running would
be in the category of "too late to help" anyway. Making a habit of
running "initdb --version" in advance seems like much the better way
to proceed, if this is a problem for you.

Personally I've never had such a mistake occur, even though I normally
have several different PG installations active on my development
machines. I think this is because I always set PATH, PGPORT, and PGDATA
consistently --- rather than manipulating them by hand, I have little
scripts that I run to make one installation or another the "active" one.