Re: BUG #15335: Documentation is wrong about archive_command and existing files

From: "Phil Endecott" <spam_from_pgsql_lists(at)chezphil(dot)org>
To: "Jeff Janes" <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #15335: Documentation is wrong about archive_command and existing files
Date: 2018-08-18 16:51:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Janes wrote:
> The possibilities are endless, and an example cannot cover all
> of them while still usefully serving as an example. There are
> canned systems for handling this more thoroughly, and you should
> look into using one of them.

Do you believe that the docs should point this out?

Currently there are about 18,000 words of what appears to be very
thorough documentation about implementing replication, yet they
do not refer the reader to tools like pgBackRest. When I post
about the issues that I have had, the overwhelming view of the
mailing lists is that pgBackRest is essential - yet this important
advice is not conveyed to new users of this feature who are relying
on the official documentation.

Regards, Phil.