Re: fixing PQsetvalue()

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Golub <pavel(at)gf(dot)microolap(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>, Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pavel Golub <pavel(at)microolap(dot)com>
Subject: Re: fixing PQsetvalue()
Date: 2011-07-21 16:19:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So I finally got around to taking a look at this patch, and I guess my
> basic feeling is that I like it. The existing code is pretty weird
> and inconsistent: the logic in PQsetvalue() basically does the same
> thing as the logic in pqAddTuple(), but incompatibly and less
> efficiently. Unifying them seems sensible, and the fix looks simple
> enough to back-patch.

Yeah, I've been looking at it too. For some reason I had had the
idea that the proposed patch complicated the code, but actually it's
simplifying it by removing almost-duplicate code. So that's good.

The patch as proposed adds back a bug in return for the one it fixes
(you can not free() the result of pqResultAlloc()), but that's easily
fixed.

Will fix and commit.