Re: select count() out of memory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: tfinneid(at)student(dot)matnat(dot)uio(dot)no, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: select count() out of memory
Date: 2007-10-25 14:30:40
Lists: pgsql-general

> tfinneid(at)student(dot)matnat(dot)uio(dot)no wrote:
>> I did a test previously, where I created 1 million partitions (without
>> data) and I checked the limits of pg, so I think it should be ok.

> Clearly it's not.

You couldn't have tested it too much --- even planning a query over so
many tables would take forever, and actually executing it would surely
have run the system out of locktable space before it even started
scanning.

The partitioning facility is designed for partition counts in the tens,
or maybe hundreds at the most.