Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com, hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi, alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2005-08-27 15:26:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>>> * support for Tutorial D as an alternative to SQL. It would be great
>>> for educational purposes.

> This strikes me as something that belongs in a research project, not in the
> core, at least for now.

For better or worse, Postgres is a SQL engine; I can't imagine trying
to support two different query languages at the same time. When the
Berkeley guys ripped out PostQUEL and put in SQL, it was a major change,
and we are *still* trying to clean up leftover baggage from having
originally used a different language with different query semantics.
Even if Tutorial D were the greatest thing since sliced bread,
supporting it alongside SQL sounds totally impractical.

(Reality check: even supporting Oracle's flavor of SQL alongside ours
would be an incredible pain. Ask the EnterpriseDB guys how they're
doing on that ...)