Re: Potential RC1-stoppers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>
Cc: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Potential RC1-stoppers
Date: 2001-03-23 01:03:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org> writes:
> I rebooted my machine, and it didn't happen again that night. Yesterday,
> my staff reinstalled Pg straight from the CVS but without (!) tarring up
> the old Pg install, so I'm afraid I don't have any logs. I run Pg w/debug
> switches on my development machine; this machine did not have such.

Drat.

> I don't have a log, but do have the query that was issued, multiple times,
> overlapping:
> SELECT * FROM zope_facinst LIMIT 1000;

It's really unlikely (I hope) that the clients running SELECTs had
anything to do with it. You had mentioned that you were busy making
manual schema revisions while this went on; that process seems more
likely to be the guilty party. But if you don't have the logs anymore,
I suppose there's not much chance of reconstructing what you did :-(

I spent much of this afternoon groveling through the deletion-related
code, looking for some code path that could lead to a deletion operation
deleting the wrong file. I didn't find anything that looked plausible
enough to be worth pursuing. So I'm stumped for the moment. We'll have
to hope that if it happens again, we can gather more data.