Re: UPDATE crash in HEAD and 8.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UPDATE crash in HEAD and 8.1
Date: 2006-06-21 18:43:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Having said that, this may well expose a bug in the MAX-optimization
>> code that has consequences for more useful queries. I'll take a look
>> later today if no one beats me to it.

> I refrain -- tried following it but I don't know that code at all.

I concluded that neither the planner nor the executor is doing anything
particularly wrong here. The crash comes because adding the implicit
CTID reference results in a variable with no scan referent at all, if
all the table scans have been pushed down into InitPlans by the MIN/MAX
index optimization. But there isn't any legal query variant that could
do the same thing, so I see no need to install more defenses than
disallowing the query. Which I've now done.