Re: VACUUM/ANALYZE counting of in-doubt tuples

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: VACUUM/ANALYZE counting of in-doubt tuples
Date: 2007-11-21 18:32:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Should we attempt to adjust VACUUM's accounting as well, or leave it
>> for 8.4? For that matter, should adjusting ANALYZE be left for 8.4?
>> Thoughts?

> Has this issue been a real problem? If so, probably we should consider
> adjusting ANALYZE for 8.3 per your proposal.

I'm not sure. Upthread, two or three people said they thought they'd
seen autovac launching vacuums against tables during bulk inserts.
However, that could only happen if there were already a reason to launch
an auto-analyze (which could misreport dead tuples and thus trigger a
subsequent auto-vacuum), and in typical bulk load situations I don't see
why that would be very likely to happen.

I'm fine with leaving the whole issue for 8.4.