Re: OID Overflow for large objects

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: OID Overflow for large objects
Date: 2004-05-07 19:08:52
Lists: pgsql-admin

Jeff Boes <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com> writes:
> I found some indication of the problem referenced in the Pg FAQ
> (http://www3.sk.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html):

> OIDs are stored as 4-byte integers, and will overflow at 4 billion. No
> one has reported this ever happening, and we plan to have the limit
> removed before anyone does.

That comment in the FAQ seems quite out-of-date.

What will actually happen is that the OID generator will wrap around.
This will not bother Postgres particularly, but you may start having
occasional transaction failures due to duplicate OIDs --- for example,
I believe lo_create will fail if the OID it selects already exists in
pg_largeobject.