Re: can insert timestamp value that can't be read

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: can insert timestamp value that can't be read
Date: 2014-05-07 05:00:46
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> It looks like timestamp[tz]_pl_interval() is not doing proper validation
> in all paths.

> Patch attached. I looked for other areas that might be affected, but
> none jumped out.

This seems to be adding a heck of a lot of cycles (viz, replacing a
simple int64 or float8 addition with timestamp2tm then tm2timestamp)
to fix a corner case that will probably not matter to anyone anytime
in the next 200 thousand years, give or take a few millenia. I'm okay
with the concept of detecting overflow here, but not at this price.
Can't we do a more direct overflow check, comparable to what ordinary
int64/float8 addition does?

Also, surely timestamp_mi_interval has got the identical issue, and
probably some other operators.