Re: non-recursive WITH clause support

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: non-recursive WITH clause support
Date: 2007-04-09 22:43:08
Lists: pgsql-patches
> Here's an updated patch that fixes the bug I had. This is now functional basic
> non-recursive WITH clause support.
>  http://community.enterprisedb.com/recursive/with-pg82stable-v2.patch.gz
> It's a pretty short simple patch as is; it just directly inlines any WITH
> clauses as if they had been written as subqueries.

So this does not really add any new functionality, it's just variant
syntax for something you can do about as easily without it, right?

The downside that I see is is that it changes WITH and SET into fully
reserved words, which no doubt will break a few people's applications.
While we're probably going to have to do that eventually, I'd like to be
able to point to some non-negligible benefit resulting from the change
when we do it.

So my inclination is to not apply this in its current form, but to wait
for the full recursive-WITH feature before taking the compatibility hit.