Re: Re : pg_dump, serial

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Laurent ROCHE <laurent_roche(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re : pg_dump, serial
Date: 2007-03-02 18:18:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Laurent ROCHE <laurent_roche(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I have read the given links, and I understand the reasons.

> Still, I am a bit surprised to see no mention of this in the documentation of pg_dump. I would expect to see at least a line stating that the colum declared with SERIAL will transformed to a SEQUENCE.

There is no place in the pg_dump documentation where anything is
promised about the content of the scripts it emits, except that when
executed they are supposed to regenerate the content of your database.
We have always felt free to alter the exact commands that are issued to
accomplish that. This case is not noticeably different from previous
pg_dump changes AFAICS.

In any case, the documentation of SERIAL itself makes the equivalence
clear enough:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/datatype-numeric.html#DATATYPE-SERIAL