question on 8.4.2 build postgres C functions

From: Steve Coleman <scoleman(at)capecomputing(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: question on 8.4.2 build postgres C functions
Date: 2010-03-09 17:23:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I am moving from version 8.1.4 to 8.4.2 and have set up a Ubuntu box configured with the 8.4.2 postgres one-click installer. It works great!

I imported everything from 8.1.4 with only two failures, and those were homegrown "C" encryption / decryption functions that we use here.

For 8.1.4 I had compiled the C functions by adding a folder in the contrib folder of the source code, and used gmake to build it.

For 8.4.2 I plan on adding the "magic block" and rebuilding the functions. I downloaded the source tarball postgresql-8.4.2.tar.gz and put that in a tmp folder, set up my contrib/decrypt folder, and set up the make.

My problem is that 8.4.2 source has no "Makefile.global". This file is essential I believe, and is used by all of the Makefiles in the source tarball.

So am I missing something obvious or is there a different procedure to build "C" functions that I'm not aware of.

Thanks!
STeve