Re: Too frequent warnings for wraparound failure

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Milen A(dot) Radev" <milen(at)securax(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Too frequent warnings for wraparound failure
Date: 2005-03-10 14:56:46
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

"Milen A. Radev" <milen(at)securax(dot)org> writes:
> I review the log every morning. In the beginning I got "wraparound
> failure" warnings every third day. But from a week I got those warnings
> every day. Well we have one table in one database where there are a lot
> of inserts, but not that many - around 30-40 thousand per day.

Are you really doing half a billion transactions a day? Keep an eye on
age(pg_class.datfrozenxid) as suggested in the manual to see what's
going on.

It's hard to credit getting any useful work done at the rate of 10K
transactions per second, but if you have a client that is issuing a
constant stream of dummy operations (like begin/rollback) it's
conceivable that you could advance the transaction counter that fast.