Re: PREPARE TRANSACTION and webapps

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PREPARE TRANSACTION and webapps
Date: 2005-11-16 04:27:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my> writes:
> Can we have a reconnect and "reopen prepared/saved transactions" feature?
> Please? :)

No. A prepared transaction has already run its end-of-transaction
operations, eg at-commit triggers. Reopening it would be a fundamental
semantics violation.

That said, it seems to me that the prepared-xacts infrastructure could
possibly support a separate "suspend transaction" and "resume
transaction" facility, if anyone wants to do the legwork to make it
happen. What this would actually be useful for is a fair question
though --- what's it do that you don't have now?