Re: Draft release notes for next week's releases

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Draft release notes for next week's releases
Date: 2016-03-28 10:36:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oleg Bartunov-2 wrote
> But still, icu provides us abbreviated keys and collation stability,

Does include ICU mean that collation handling is identical across platforms?
E.g. a query on Linux involving string comparison would yield the same
result on MacOS and Windows?

If that is the case I'm all for it.

Currently the different behaviour in handling collation aware string
comparisons is a bug in my eyes from a user's perspective. I do understand
and can accept the technical reasons for that, but it still feels odd that a
query yields different results (with identical data) just because it runs on
a different platform.