Re: lifetime of temp schema versus compiled image of plpgsql proc

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dennis <pg-user(at)calico-consulting(dot)com>, postgres SQL <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lifetime of temp schema versus compiled image of plpgsql proc
Date: 2004-04-23 02:16:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

> Dennis wrote:
>> So I should be using EXECUTE for all access to the temp tables? ie inserts,
>> and selects (in this case). Should I use execute for the table creation?

> All access from plpgsql functions for temp tables should use EXECUTE,

I think that advice is not correct nor relevant to Dennis' problem. You
need EXECUTE if you are dropping and recreating temp tables within the
lifetime of a single connection, but he didn't do that. Even if he did
do it and hasn't told us so, that does not explain why the error message
complains about the temp *schema* and not a temp table. There's
something very strange here, because the temp schema name for a given
session is definitely fixed for the life of the session.