Re: Buildfarm feature request: some way to track/classify failures

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Buildfarm feature request: some way to track/classify failures
Date: 2007-03-20 15:59:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The wrinkle is that applying the tags on the fly is probably not a great
> idea - the status page query is already in desperate need of overhauling
> because it's too slow. So we'd need a daemon to set up the tags in the
> background. But that's an implementation detail. Screen real estate on
> the dashboard page is also in very short supply. Maybe we could play
> with the background colour, so that a tagged failure had, say, a blue
> background, as opposed to the red/pink/yellow we use for failures now.
> Again - an implementation detail.

I'm not sure that the current status dashboard needs to pay any attention
to the tags. The view that I would like to have of "recent failures
across all machines in a branch" is the one that needs to be tag-aware,
and perhaps also the existing display of a given machine's branch history.

> My biggest worry apart from maintenance (which doesn't matter that much
> - if people don't enter the regexes they don't get the tags they want)
> is that the regexes will not be specific enough, and so give false
> positives on the tags.

True. I strongly suggest that we want an interactive search-and-tag
capability *before* worrying about automatic tagging --- one of the
reasons for that is to provide a way to test a regex that you might
then consider adding to the automatic filter for future reports.

> This would be a fine SOC project - I at least won't have time to develop
> it for quite some time.

Agreed. Who's maintaining the SOC project list page?