Re: day of week

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: day of week
Date: 2000-06-06 00:30:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com> writes:
> At 10:52 PM 6/5/00 +0200, Karel Zak wrote:
>> For to_char() I use POSIX definition of 'tm' where week start on Sunday.
>>
>> Is it right? (Exuse me, I see archive, but without some effect...).
>>
>> Or we will support both styles?

> to_char() gives the same answer with Oracle, as it is supposed to
> and as you intended it to.

I don't think we should change to_char(), but it might make sense
to create a SET variable that controls the start-of-week day for
date_part(); or just have several variants of 'dow' for different
start-of-week days. Different applications might reasonably want
different answers depending on what conventions they have to deal
with outside of Postgres.

Thomas Lockhart is usually our lead guy on datetime-related issues.
Let's see what he thinks when he gets back from vacation (he's gone
till next week IIRC).