Re: a: queries across databases b: plperl

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Wayne M(dot) Syvinski" <matthew(at)techcelsior(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: a: queries across databases b: plperl
Date: 2003-08-17 23:59:49
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Wayne M. Syvinski" <matthew(at)techcelsior(dot)com> writes:
> Compiled PostgreSQL 7.3.3. from ports. I didn't know that shared
> libraries were required from Perl to use plperl.

> So I recompiled Perl 5.8.0 from ports - amended Makefile to allow
> threads and shared libraries
> (-Dusethreads=y -Duseithreads=y -Duseshrplib=y) (I enabled threads
> because I needed them to try something in MySQL)

> Then I compiled plperl from ports.

> I logged in as root and su to pgsql (postgres user) and type:

> CREATE FUNCTION plperl_call_handler() RETURNS opaque AS
> '/usr/local/lib/postgresql/plperl.so' LANGUAGE 'C';

> This didn't work. I get back <deletia> Undefined symbol
> "Perl_sv_2pv_flags".

I'm wondering whether you compiled plperl against the Perl include files
that match the Perl library you were using. This is an easy mistake to
make if you build/install Perl in a nonstandard place (and "the standard
place" isn't very well-defined, either). Check the -I arguments that
were used at compile time for plperl, and check the dynamic link search
path used at runtime.