Re: [HACKERS] Beta for 4:30AST ... ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Beta for 4:30AST ... ?
Date: 2000-02-23 06:14:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Somehow you have to do something similar to
>> insert OID = 9999 ( bit varying PGUID 1 1 t b t \054 0 0 bitvaryingin ... )

> Huh, I still don't get it. What is the matter with that insert?

The space in the type name is gonna confuse things.

>> And no, naming the type bit_varying internally is not an acceptable
>> answer. ;) We might want to start thinking about this item before national
>> character comes our way. (Or just document the solution, if it already
>> exists.)

AFAICS the solution would have to be similar to what we already do for
CHARACTER VARYING: parse the type declaration specially in gram.y,
and translate it to an internal type name.

gram.y already knows about NATIONAL CHARACTER [ VARYING ] too, BTW.
Seems to just translate it into bpchar or varchar :-( ... but the
syntax problem is solved.