Re: Patch to fix search_path defencies with pg_bench

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to fix search_path defencies with pg_bench
Date: 2009-05-05 23:07:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I have been doing some testing with pgbench and I realized that it
> forces the use of public as its search_path. This is bad if:

> * You want to run multiple pgbench instances within the same database
> * You don't want to use public (for whatever reason)

> This patch removes that ability and thus will defer to the default
> search_path for the connecting user.

Hmm. The search_path setting seems to have been added here
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2002-10/msg00118.php
http://anoncvs.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/contrib/pgbench/pgbench.c.diff?r1=1.20;r2=1.21

as part of a mass patch to make everything in contrib work in the public
schema. I agree that it probably wasn't considered carefully whether
pg_bench should do that; but does anyone see a reason not to change it?