Re: patch for between symmetric, asymmetric (from TODO)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <stehule(at)kix(dot)fsv(dot)cvut(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch for between symmetric, asymmetric (from TODO)
Date: 2005-06-01 15:14:48
Lists: pgsql-patches

Pavel Stehule <stehule(at)kix(dot)fsv(dot)cvut(dot)cz> writes:
> I did task from TODO: Add BETWEEN ASYMMETRIC/SYMMETRIC.
> this patch is based on Robert's B. Easter work from 2001 year.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2001-01/msg00022.php

IIRC, that patch was rejected at the time because of performance issues
--- the optimizer could not turn it into an indexscan. I think that
problem may have gone away by now, but did you check?

Also, you neglected to add the new keywords to the right keyword list
(so that they won't be any more reserved than necessary).

Also, a change like this is hardly just in the parser. Please include
the needed documentation changes. It's simple enough to probably not
need a regression test, but that's always something to think about when
completing a TODO, too.