Re: eXtreme PostgreSQL using system catalogs (was Turning off triggers ?)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: eXtreme PostgreSQL using system catalogs (was Turning off triggers ?)
Date: 2002-11-27 04:47:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Chris Gamache <cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> There seems to be a TON of functionality accessable by querying and updating
> the system catalogs directly...

Querying, sure ... updating, well, it's pretty easy to shoot yourself in
the foot. I have been seen to recommend solutions that involve manual
catalog updates, but I always ask what version you're running first ;-)
The catalogs get revised for every version, to a greater or lesser
extent.

> Is this a skill reserved only for the eXtreme postgresql hackers, or can
> (should!) mere mortals be given the understanding to push postgresql to its
> limits?

If you're willing to commit to keeping the document updated across multiple
PG versions, go for it.