Re: UPSERT wiki page, and SQL MERGE syntax

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: UPSERT wiki page, and SQL MERGE syntax
Date: 2014-10-10 19:04:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:

> There is no danger of UPDATE before row-level triggers firing
> without then updating (unless the xact aborts, but you know what
> I mean).

Well, let's make sure I do know what you mean. If a BEFORE UPDATE
... FOR EACH ROW trigger returns NULL, the UPDATE will be skipped
without error, right? The BEFORE UPDATE triggers will run before
the UPDATE if a duplicate is found, and the return value will be
treated in the usual manner, replacing values and potentially
skipping the update?

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com