Re: Out parameters handling

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Rod Taylor <rod(dot)taylor(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Asko Oja <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Out parameters handling
Date: 2009-03-07 16:32:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 9:08 AM, Rod Taylor <rod(dot)taylor(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> It wouldn't be so bad if you could assign internal and external column names.

> This is a good point. Uglifying the parameter names is sort of OK for
> input parameters, but is much more annoying for output parameters.

How much of this pain would go away if we changed over to the arguably
correct (as in Or*cle does it that way) scoping for names, wherein the
parser first tries to match a name against column names of tables of the
current SQL statement, and only failing that looks to see if they are
plpgsql variables?