Re: cvs head initdb hangs on unixware

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, pgsql-hackers list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cvs head initdb hangs on unixware
Date: 2008-12-09 14:23:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr writes:
> Guess what! with the fprintf .. descending node... in place, everything
> goes well. The optimizer definitly does something weird along the
> definition/assignement of leftok/rightok..

Hmm, so the problem is in that second loop. The trick is to pick some
reasonably non-ugly code change that makes the problem go away.

The first thing I'd try is to get rid of the overly cute optimization

int rightnodeno = leftnodeno + 1;

and make it just read

int rightnodeno = rightchild(nodeno);

If that doesn't work, we might try refactoring the code enough to get
rid of the goto, but that looks a little bit tedious.