Re: Append to a GUC parameter ?

From: David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Append to a GUC parameter ?
Date: 2014-08-05 23:34:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera-9 wrote
> Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> > It's been discussed.
>> >
>> > However, other than shared_preload_libraries, I can't think of a GUC
>> > which would benefit from this. Can you?
>>
>> search_path?
>
> Almost anything that's marked GUC_LIST_INPUT. A quick grep shows some
> variables for which it doesn't make sense, such as DateStyle, and others
> for which it would, such as temp_tablespaces, synchronous_standby_names,
> listen_addresses, and the various preload_libraries params. Not sure
> about log_destination.
>
> I think this merits a new GUC flag, say GUC_LIST_ADDITIVE.

Would that allow, without any special syntax, multiple declarations of, say,
shared_preload_libraries, to have their values appended instead of the most
(or least, I forget which) recent one overwrite (or be ignored by) the
existing value?

The idea of requiring "+=" instead of just "=" is not particularly
appealing...

David J.