Re: [BUGS] casting strings to multidimensional arrays yields strange results

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] casting strings to multidimensional arrays yields strange results
Date: 2004-08-05 03:51:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> OK, this is done, but there is still an ugly bug in there (i.e. was
> there prior to my just committed changes and still exists) somewhere
> that I noticed while modifying domain.sql. Namely, if you forget to put
> a delimiter inbetween subarrays in a multidimensional array literal, you
> get odd results:

I had pretty much come to the conclusion that the array_in code should
be thrown away and rewritten from the ground up --- whoever wrote it
originally had no calling as a programmer :-(. I didn't look at the
details of your patch, but I have little faith in half measures in this
area. I've already wasted a lot of time trying to patch that code in
past releases.