Re: missing toast table for pg_policy

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, John Naylor <jcnaylor(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: missing toast table for pg_policy
Date: 2018-07-19 23:18:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> FWIW, I was off the last few days. I personally think the reasoning to
> leave out pg_class, pg_index etc. is bad. We should just make them work
> and create toast tables as well.

If it's easy to make those work and keep them working, then sure, but
I have my doubts. I remain afraid of circular accesses occurring only
in strange corner cases ...

> It's definitely not right that "those
> relations have no reason to use a toast table anyway." as the commit
> message states, given relacl, reloptions and relpartbound.

I wonder whether we shouldn't have handled ACLs through something more
like the pg_description solution, ie keep them all in one catalog with
a (classoid, objoid) primary key.