Re: systems 2007 ...

From: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Robert Gravsjö <robert(at)blogg(dot)se>
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: systems 2007 ...
Date: 2007-10-29 12:47:42
Lists: pgeu-general

hello ...

thanks for the feedback.

On Oct 29, 2007, at 1:31 PM, Robert Gravsjö wrote:

> Hans-Juergen Schoenig wrote:
>> good morning everybody,
>> my friend zoltan böszörmenyi (this is the guy who posted the
>> GENERATED BY) and i spent 4 days at systems (one of the largest IT
>> exhibitions in Europe).
>> it was quite successful and many people came to ask about PostgreSQL.
>> i would see three types of people this time:
>> - "what is the difference between MySQL and PostgreSQL?"
>> - "we use PostgreSQL; we are so happy; keep doing "
>> - "we use Oracle, is PostgreSQL as powerful as Oracle?"
>
> This is pretty interesting, anyone else had similar experience? Is
> the main concern comparision with MySQL on one hand and Oracle on
> the other?

i would say so. when somebody shows up mentioning "informix" or so he
is typically talking about "getting rid of informix". when somebody
ask for comparison we are facing Oracle and MySQL.

>> to answer the first type of question the best strategies were:
>> "what would happen if you lost all your data?". in most cases
>> this made people think about system reliability and so on -
>> avoiding data loss is a killer argument.
>> a second argument is MySQL's fetish to implement new storage
>> engines: "would you trust somebody who comes around every two
>> years and telling you that the previous way of storing data was no
>> good under some circumstances? personally i would prefer people
>> who do their job once but properly" (this is a killer argument
>> *evil grin*). people were most responsive to those arguments.
>
> Did you get any counter argument? Were there any objections?

there are a few people argumenting here:

guy: "i have not seen MySQL problems so far".
me: "do you know anybody who had MySQL problems?"
in 90% of all cases you will get a "yes" here - this is is how you
can start then :)
me: "do you know anybody with PostgreSQL problems?
guy: typically responds "no".
me: "well, as you can see - it is all about stability ..."

those who have never seen problems with MySQL cannot be convinced
that way. they will need the "more features" argument.

> Thank you for sharing the experience, I found it most interesting.
>
> /roppert

anytime again :).

hans

--