Re: pg_dump core dumping

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: excalibur(at)hub(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump core dumping
Date: 2003-04-26 18:02:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Chris Bowlby <excalibur(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> Ok, running the select statement that was used in the core file, I get
> [ normal results ]

Okay, scratch that theory. Looking at it a second time, I now think
this particular select is not directly at fault, but is simply losing
because pg_dump is out of memory (a condition libpq has never tolerated
very well :-(). But that still leaves us with the question of where the
memory went. The stack trace shows that pg_dump is still collecting
schema information, and hasn't begun pulling down the contents of user
tables --- but how could it chew up 512Mb on schema information?

I would suggest turning on query logging (look in postgresql.conf) and
re-running pg_dump. Perhaps a look at the series of queries it issues
will show that it's gotten stuck in a loop somewhere.

Another test that would be useful, if you happen to have a 7.3
installation handy, is to see if 7.3 pg_dump can dump this database.