Re: Redundant sub query triggers slow nested loop left join

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "henk de wit" <henk53602(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Redundant sub query triggers slow nested loop left join
Date: 2007-04-21 23:48:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

"henk de wit" <henk53602(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> Naively I would say that a planner
> would have to be smart enough to see this by itself?

We got rid of direct tests for redundant WHERE clauses a long time ago
(in 7.4, according to some quick tests I just made). They took a lot
of cycles and almost never accomplished anything.

Since you have two redundant tests, the selectivity is being
double-counted, leading to a too-small rows estimate and a not very
appropriate choice of join plan.

FWIW, CVS HEAD does get rid of the duplicate conditions for the common
case of mergejoinable equality operators --- but it's not explicitly
looking for duplicate conditions, rather this is falling out of a new
method for making transitive equality deductions.