Re: pg_dump --pretty-print-views

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marko Tiikkaja" <pgmail(at)joh(dot)to>
Cc: "Jeevan Chalke" <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump --pretty-print-views
Date: 2013-02-03 21:06:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Marko Tiikkaja" <pgmail(at)joh(dot)to> writes:
> Here's the third version of this patch, hopefully this time without any
> problems. I looked through the patch and it looked OK, but I did that
> last time too so I wouldn't trust myself on that one.

Applied with corrections.

The xml expected output was still wrong - to do that part right, you
need to update xml.out with an xml-enabled build and xml_1.out with a
non-xml-enabled build.

Also, it seemed to me that the patch didn't go far enough, in that it
only touched pg_get_viewdef and not the sister functions. pg_dump would
certainly want pg_get_ruledef to have the same behavior, and in general
the documentation seems to me to be clear that all these functions have
similar pretty-print-vs-not behavior. As committed, the pretty_bool
argument only affects PRETTY_PAREN processing for all of them.

I also went ahead and set the default wrap column to zero rather than
the former 79, since it seemed clear that people like that behavior
better.