Re: improving concurrent transactin commit rate

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: improving concurrent transactin commit rate
Date: 2009-03-25 00:51:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk> writes:
> The conceptual idea is to have at most one outstanding flush for the
> log going through the filesystem at any one time.

I think this is a variant of the "group commit" or "commit delay"
stuff that's already in there (and doesn't work real well :-().
The problem is to sync multiple transactions without a lot of extra
overhead.

Realize also that if the kernel's not completely brain dead, some
of this happens already by virtue of the fact that everyone's
fsync'ing the same WAL file.