Re: really quick multiple inserts can use COPY?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jens Schipkowski" <jens(dot)schipkowski(at)apus(dot)co(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: really quick multiple inserts can use COPY?
Date: 2006-12-11 17:11:29
Lists: pgsql-performance

"Jens Schipkowski" <jens(dot)schipkowski(at)apus(dot)co(dot)at> writes:
> Is it possible to use COPY FROM STDIN with JDBC?

You should be asking the pgsql-jdbc list, not here. (I know I've seen
mention of a JDBC patch to support COPY, but I dunno if it's made it into
any official version.)

> Will it bring performance improvement compared to SELECT UNION solution?

Please, at least be smart enough to use UNION ALL not UNION.

If you're using 8.2 you could also consider using INSERT with multiple
VALUES-lists.