Re: Limiting setting of hint bits by read-only queries; vacuum_delay

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Limiting setting of hint bits by read-only queries; vacuum_delay
Date: 2013-03-26 17:50:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> *) For off-cycle release work that would help enable patches with
> complex performance trade-offs (I'm working up another patch that has
> even more compelling benefits and risks in the buffer allocator),  We
> desperately need a standard battery of comprehensive performance tests
> and doner machines.

Such a thing would vastly reduce the time needed to work on
something like this with confidence that it would not be a disaster
for some unidentified workload.  Sure, something could still "slip
though the cracks" -- but they would *be* cracks, not a wide gaping
hole.

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company